Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Inevitable? I guess so.

Ugh...it's happened. Hayden has a cold. I guess I should go back a few days to fill you in on all the details. Last Thursday evening I noticed Jaxon sounded a little nasally. I of course panicked. By morning he had a clear runny nose. Being it was Friday, I didn't want to end up at Urgent Care with Hayden over the weekend so I called her Dr to see what we should do IF she caught it. She gave us a nebulizer and a prescription for Albuterol with directions to give her a treatment 1-2 times a day, but if symptoms worsened she would want us to bring her in. Well, by Saturday morning Jaxon no longer had the runny nose, so I was pleased we got through that hurdle so quick and easy. That all changed at about 1:30 this morning. I woke to Hayden sounding plugged up. Once I took her into the light she sneezed and a large amount of snot came from one nostril. So, I cleaned her up and woke Kent to see if he thought a treatment would be necessary. I hate waking him because I don't like stressing him, but sometimes I just feel like I can't handle it on my own. And in that case, having his support helps me fight through it when I'm breaking down! Anyway, I gave her a treatment, fed her and we tried to rest some more. The treatment began to do it's work, and we were up every hour after helping her get rid of all the junk. Poor girl was exhausted as were we. We decided we'd be at the Dr's office as close to 8am when they opened as possible. Usually they can get you in to see the Dr if the nurse on the phone feels like you need to be seen. The problem is, I'm not the only one calling first thing in the morning so I deal with a busy signal for the first half hour, then wait another hour to hear back from the nurse. Previously our Dr told me if it's urgent, just show up and we'll be seen. So that's what we did. They first had us see a nurse to explain why we were there. I'm assuming in case it's something simple like "I think my child has the chicken pox, will you look at the bumps and tell me if that's what it is?" Our situation was a little different, she listened to me explain what was going on and took the notes to the Dr. Within 5 minutes she was taking us back to a room. Our Dr shares her practice, so somehow they take turns throughout the week. This time we saw her partner. She was amazing and didn't rush us at all. I thought they might being we didn't have an appointment, but she was very thorough and took her time talking with us. She let us know she does in fact have a cold, but her lungs are clear which is a very good sign. Being she had RSV she will create more mucus than a baby who hasn't had it, but she will outgrow it, good to know. Her O2 saturation was at 99 % and she grinned away for almost the whole appt. We will continue to help Hayden as best we can with the treatments and saline/suctioning and keeping her propped up to allow the mucus to drain in hopes she will get over it sooner than later. The Dr figures it will last 3-5 days, today being her worst day. Mostly sneezing and a rare cough. So far no fever and has been eating just fine. We're all taking turns napping today and expect the rest of the week will consist of as many of them as possible, since I imagine the nights will be restless at least for Hayden and I.


Little Miss getting some rest.
I recovered her hands after taking this and noticing they were so cold :( 
Just wanted to let everyone know, but this time it's not RSV so it won't be as scary though any sign of sickness worries us. Most likely she will never be that sick from a cold again. We thought we were being careful, but even if she stays home or is kept covered in public, the rest of us are still breathing in the air and touching germs, so it was inevitable I guess. At least she is twice the size she was when she got sick the first time.

2 comments:

Teri said...

Hang in there Bran. Don't worry yourself sick, it won't do any good. Will say an extra little prayer for the four of you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Brandie! Scary days we can have, as a Mommy. Hope Hayden is over it now and you are all doing well. Love, Clara