Saturday, March 27, 2010

Things have continued to move along quickly with our house, and I hope it continues to do so! Monday was plumbing, and Wednesday was heating. By Thursday evening the roof was completed. We ended up choosing Prairie Wood for the shingles. Well, maybe I chose the color. We got to Western Materials and Kent picks up the board with color samples and tells me "OK, pick one." Apparently I'm the one who cares about the color of our roof, and Kent would have done the black/grey without thinking twice. The windows also were put in by Kent with help from Brian and Paul. Our master bedroom window turned out to be yet a foot larger than expected, so Kent got to do some remodeling already. When discussing window options, we were undecided on whether or not we wanted them all to have grids, just the front ones or none at all. I thought the last conversation we had it was decided to do none. Well, when Kent text me a pic of our enormous bedroom window, something caught my eye. There was indeed a grid across the top! He claims the discussion ended with me saying he could decide. Either way, I like them and was happy to see them! They do add a nice touch. I'm also very grateful my father-in-law has built a house or two, and recommended having the bottom third of the living room windows open, instead of the middle like normal-right at eye level. Friday morning the electricians came to work and were done about noon.


View of the roof and side of the house, with windows!


Today we spent some more time at the house. Some more blocks were put in places I have planned for hanging stuff, some more staining on the porch posts and the front gables and I got to learn the proper procedure for applying flashing around a window. I got one paper cut right away, which stumped Kent since he's been doing it for a couple years and hasn't gotten cut. Leave it to me to do the unusual :)


And no post would be complete without a picture of the boy! Just relaxing in the ditch. He sure has no trouble getting dirty, and we end up bringing plenty of sand home with us. 

Next week we have insulation scheduled and it should be stocked with sheet-rock by Friday.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

We had the lower windows too--and I liked them. Course we didn't have to worry about little boys smudging them at the time either;)

Kaia said...

Maybe cuz guys' hands are all rough and tough? And I loved the video of Jaxon crawling in the ditch! :P I'm liking how it's coming along :)

Elsa said...

Hopping right along aren't ya?! Good thing for tons of sand, don't gotta worry about extras being transfered. :p