We're still at the hospital! Big surprise, I know! Hmm let me think where I left off last...
Hayden was on room air for about 5 hrs yesterday. She did well but got very tired out. I had a lactation meeting to go to, and made sure they put her back on o2 before I left. I don't like to leave her much at all now that we're no longer in ICU. Especially now that she's awake more. Can't have her waking up looking for Mommy, who is no where to be seen! As far as her feeding goes, I was getting very frustrated with the dr's and felt we were standing still with their plan, which was not getting us home anytime soon. I got enough of their attention that a new plan was made last night. Woo hoo! They had been letting me try feeding her if she was awake and interested. All the while she was staying full by almost constant tube feed. She hardly knew what it felt like to be hungry, so of course she wasn't going to work for it if she didn't have to. Smart girl ;) With the new plan, I weigh her before and after feeding her 4 times a day. At 9am, noon, 3p and 6p. After each time they immediately start her on a tube feed of 35ml that runs for just a half hour (they had been running it over an hour and 15 min to reduce the reflux, instead of just realizing she was TOO full! Ugh!). I don't think they expected her to wake up to eat all 4 times on the first day. She had to prove them wrong and has done great! I knew better than to get my hopes too high right away, and expected she may not do so well everytime. They only let her eat for 10 min so far, just so she isn't burning more calories than she's getting. Makes sense, but she sure seems ambitious to eat more. She's been sleeping in between, like a normal baby, but right about the 3 hour mark she's letting you know it's time. As she proves she can consistantly get half of what she needs they will change the plan to emit the tube. It may be a slow process but at least I feel we are headed in a much better direction towards getting us home. It's already thursday so I'm hoping things start moving fast!
The goal is for her to also be off the tiny bit of O2 she has been needing for the last week. I'm guessing if she's not at the time she's eating well enough, they may send us home with O2. Or maybe when the time comes she will be ready to do it all on her own.
Hopefully tonight goes a bit smoother. Hayden was wanting to be held a lot and I was exhausted already. The chair wasn't so ideal for sleeping. A nurse this morning asked how our night went and I told her not so well! She was so nice and helped me arrange all the tubes and wires so they would reach to my bed so she could lay next to me. We spent a lot of time resting that way today :)
Now here's some pics from today.
Love, Kent Brandie & Hayden
Wave Equation Schrodinger
2 years ago

11 comments:
Good they got a better feeding plan- hope it continues to go well:) so you can get home!
Thanks for the update! I'm praying things start moving fast too!!
And hope you all get more rest tonite:)
What a beautiful little girl! But I'm starting to worry bout you guys. You and Kent are begining to show the wear and tear this has taken on you. Praying for a decent nights rest and success with the new feeding plan.
I think of you often and check your blog to see how Hayden is doing. I hope you 2 can get some good night rest and we will continue to pray for complete healing for her.
Karen St.
I hope last night went much smoother and you were able to rest. Praying for you guys.
Appreciate your updates! Glad you are getting the feeding situation worked out. Hayden is just so cute in her pictures - thank you for posting them :-)
I just realized Hayden is one month today! :-) Praying that you will have rest and that your faith will remain strong in the Lord as He heals your precious litte one.
We drove by your house last night and I told Anthony, "I bet Kent and Brandie are ready to come home and sleep in their own beds!" Hope you rested good last night.
Karen
Praying you would have been home by now!
So happy you guys finally got to go home!! :D Rest up now, and you stay healthy, Hayden, cause Auntie lyssa and uncle Carl want to come visit you guys sometime before too long! (Carl hasn't even gotten to meet Hayden yet! and I have yet to hold her.. :( )
Post a Comment